CLEAN UP THE SEA TO KEEP
HOW CAN YOU HELP?
HOW TO DO A BEACH CLEAN
One way you can help to protect our marine wildlife like turtles is to do a mini beach clean. This can be as simple as picking up rubbish you see on the beach as you are walking past or you can ask your school or club to organise one. There are some things you need to do before you pick up rubbish to keep yourself safe.
1. Always go with an adult
2. Never pick up anything nasty or dangerous
3. Wear gloves
4. Watch out for sharp items like glass, needles, metal
5. Keep an eye on the sea – look out for big waves, tide coming in or quick sand/mudflats.
6. Keep an eye on the weather and wear appropriate clothing and sun protection
7. Take a picture and upload it to social media using hashtags #duffytheseaturtle, #2minutebeachclean and #minibeachclean
8. Put the rubbish in a bin or take it home to recycle/upcycle – see Zillah Art for more inspiration.
HOW CAN YOU HELP SAVE THE TURTLES?
- Use less plastic – stop using single use plastic such as drinking straws and bags – bring your own bags to the shops
- Stop buying bottled water – carry a reuseable bottle
- Recycle your rubbish at home
- Go plastic free for your school lunch box
- Pick up on rubbish on beach if safe to do so – see our mini beach clean guide for more info
- Report injured wildlife to local charity or vets
- Tell your family and friends about the problem with plastics in the oceans and help spread the word and save marine wildlife like Duffy.